- True. The electric eel's tail, which is 90% of its body, is capable of discharging up to 600 volts in less than one second. The eel can aslo use small electric pulses to sense objects in it's path.
- Most sponges are supported by one of the three, silica, lime or protien. The bathroom sponge, which we are most familiar with, is the protien skeleton.
- The plant with the largest leaves is the water lily which can grow up to 8 feet across. The smallest flower is only 2/100 of an inch and belong to the Wolffia Arrhiza. The longest plant is the Pacific Giant Kelp which grows to over 200 feet!
- Any of the answers are quite true. As a pet the octopus is too smart to stay in the aquarium often traveling great distances before being discovered. The bite of the Blue Ring Octopus can kill a human so if you have one of these you don't want to pick it up!
- The answer is either A or B. Water is an excelent carrier of sound waves. Sound trvels over three times faster and farther than in air. Most fish have excelent hearing, since thier body has about the same density as water they don't need ears to detect sound. Their whole body picks up sound.
- The answers C, cold-blooded except for tuna and some sharks.
- Salt water comprises 97% of the earth's water, which leaves 3% for fresh water. However, 2% of freshwater is in icecaps and in the atmosphere. This leaves only 1% for freshwater. The ocean can only support life in the first 100 meters (except for a few specialized species). 98% of the ocean's water is below 100 meters. This leaves us with 2% of the salt water and 1% of the fresh water for a total of 3%.
- B. 104°F in Inyo County, California where the Tecopa Pupfish was discovered in the South Tecopa Hot Spring. First discovered in 1942 the Pupfish disappeared 18 years later partly due to a commercial bathhouse contaminating the water.
- The Marine Betta mimics the Moray Eel to escape preditors. It is able to pull its anal, dorsal, and tail fins together along with an eye spot to transform its backside into a fierce looking Moray Eel. With its head safely in a cave the Betta is able to frighten off preditors.